To foster academic excellence, moral integrity, and social commitment to young men and women.
To mould intellectually well-trained young men and women by providing conducive academic environment.
To equip the faculty and students to meet the challenges of modern trends in educational field by encouraging research and development.
To provide quality higher education to the rural population in the eastern region of central Travancore in Kerala.
To import sound Cristian liberal education and to promote holistic development of individuals.
To undertake community related research studies and extension programmes beneficial to the community.
St.Thomas College, Kozhencherry was established in 1953, under the untiring visionary initiative of Sri. K.T. Thomas Kaseesa, ably supported by the then Dr. Juhanon Mar Thoma Metropolitan, the community in Kozhencherry, the parish here and of course Marthomites from different parts of Kerala.
Two great names to be remembered in connection with the founding of the college are those of the late His Grace the Most Rev.Dr.Juhanon Mar Thoma Metropolitan and the late Rev.K.T.Thomas, Kurumthottickal, the Veteran Minister of the Parish of Kozhencherry.
Prof. A.J. Cherian, the first Principal of the college, a man of brief words, motivated and led the way for a true disciplinary spiritual life and likewise character-formation of students in the campus. His charismatic presence evoked a reverential fear towards him. The college still maintains such principles, strict discipline in the campus, with freedom given to the creative aspirations of the students. Compared to other colleges, the college maintains for the past several years, especially in the recent years, a calm and peaceful academic atmosphere.
The main aim of this institution is to impart sound Christian liberal education to young men and women. The college aims at producing intellectually well trained, morally upright, socially committed and spiritually inspired young men and women. The college has, in its 60 years of functioning, expanded its services to accommodate students hailing from the remote regions of the eastern part of Pathanamthitta District. Various courses of studies augmenting the creative and productive faculties of the younger generation, was introduced from time to time.
The college was once the hub of volleyball players and fans. The college became champions at the intercollegiate and university levels.
- . Awarded “Rajamudra” by the ‘Travancore Dynasty’ for academic excellence in central Travancore region.
- .Promising alumni around the world are the living testimonies of our excellence.
- .Research, lab and library facilities with international standards.
- .We offer PG and UG programmes in English, Malayalam, Economics, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology, Commerce and Computer Science (SF – M.Sc. course starting this year) ; UG in Hindi, History and BBA (SF) as well.
- .Career oriented add-on courses in Communicative English, Journalism, Medical Lab Technology and Computer Assembling and Maintenance.
- .Disciplined, but activity-oriented holistic upbringing of students.
- .Active, innovative, ‘on the go’ clubs and forums.
- . A campus thriving on renewable sources of solar energy, biogas and rainwater.
- . A botanical garden for medicinal plants.
- .Extension programmes in adopted village and school.
- .Insurance scheme for every student.
- .Scholarships for the needy and deserving.
- .Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma Block: a new learning centre with the most modern facilities.
- .Diamond Jubilee Projects- Phase II .
- .Dr. Thomas Mar Athanasius Block.
- .Lightning Arresters .
- .Internet Campus
The Present –Overview
Most. Rev. Dr. Joseph Mar Thoma Metropolitan, head of the Malankara Marthoma Syrian Church, the Manager of the college and Prof. Dr. Capt. Roys Mallassery, Principal of the college ably leads the institution at present.
LandscapeSet atop a hill, with an expansive view of the south western valleys, in a serene village, with the green panoramic Sahyadri in the east, close to the cool lush river Pamba, near the famous Maramon sandbank, beneath the green shades of Badam trees, the college provides a sublime conducive natural ambience for attaining competent academic eminence.
Aspects of Prominence and Courses Offered
DIAMOND JUBILEE YEAR – started projects aiming better standards of life on and outside the campus: